May 30, 1898
Saint Paul Lutheran Church organized. Charter members were H. A. Wobig,
F. Wobig, Charles Arndt, Henry Groth, Oscar Kunz, F. P. Wobig, Frank Haase,
A. E. Wobig, Fred Schmuck, August
Brierfeldt, Fred Haase, Fred Smutlack, Emil Krause,
Frank Manthei, Frank Protcka, Paul Remarkel, John Krause
and John Augestin.
First Congregation Council: Frank Manthei, Frederick Smutlack, Frederick Schmuck,
Herman Wobig, John Ferb
Only men’s names are listed as charter members. Women had no congregational vote.
worship services, men sat on one side, women on the other. Records written in German
Services were held at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in the 400 block SE.
Annual meeting 1899 voted to build the first sanctuary later that year.
Committee: Louis Ferber, Frederick Wobig and John Ferber.
Ladies Aid, Luther League and
Men’s Club donated labor and financial support
for the buildings and furnishings.
Church dedication in 1899 was in both German and English.
Worship was only in German until 1916 when English was used.
From 1916 - 1955 two communion services each year were in German.
Saint Paul Lutheran Church has been served by many pastors. First, “supply” or
“student” pastors did the work part time, many times staying only a few days. In the early 1900s pastors’
salaries ranged from $80 to $200 a year. Many years, the one source of income for the pastor was certain special offerings.
Job security was a problem. A young minister’s preaching might draw a reaction from some members who wanted to “throw
him out” after only a few Sundays.
Joachim Oelkers, 1899;
John Fritz, 1900-01;
Rudolph Kohlrusch, 1902-03;
C. Meyer, 1904;
Alexander Moench, 1908-16;
William Zibell, 1918-23;
Dr. Edward Arthur Welke, 1923-31;
Rev. George Matthiae,
Henry Prieb, 1940-48;
Otto Kunz, 1948-58;
Larry Kocha, 1958-63;
Elroy Buhr, 1963-68;
Carl Klein, 1968-80;
Randall Schlecht, 1973-78;
William Straka, 1979-83;
Stephen Kidder, 1981-83;
Merlyn Satrom, 1983-84;
Terje C. Hausken, 1984-92;
Earl Amundson, 1985-88;
Judd Larson, 1989-90;
Tom Danklefson, 1990-93;
Tom Anderson, 1992-93;
Al Walck, 1994;
John Lohre, 1993-2014;
Gail Madson, 1994-2000;
Kathy Gauger, 2000-01;
Kip Groettum, 2001-Present
interim, Fall 2014-Feb., 2015
Audrey Lukasak, interim, March, 2015-Jan. 17,
Pastor Darby Lawrence, Feb. 1, 2016-
Pastors who left pastoral ministry to serve in other work:
Leopold Moench to mathematics professor, Saint Paul Luther College, Saint
in 1918 and
Dr. Edward A. Welke to president of Minnesota District, American
in 1931 for 20+ years
members were ordained into parish ministry:
Allen Hastings 1964
Carl Glamm 1995
Jack & Dawn Coffey 2000
parsonage was purchased from Albert Glamm in 1906.
(213 2nd St SW) built in 1919. Pastor William Zibell lived in it first.
the (1919) parsonage got new siding, shingles, and interior remodeling.
SPLC owned schoolhouse for religious instruction, used 4 days/week for 3 months/year.
In 1916 Sunday School wing was added to the sanctuary.
hall built in 1957 with temporary wall - later opened to join to new sanctuary.
Present sanctuary built in 1969 and dedicated Feb 22, 1970.
Lord’s Supper scene from the original altar was built into the new altar.
tower built in 1970 with memorials and money raised by the women.
Bronze Bell (1300 lbs) purchased by Ladies
Aid in 1911 still calls people to worship.
The Organ and
First pipe organ dedicated in 1927. Completely rebuilt during this
75th anniversary year, enlarged to 15 ranks and moved to present location in balcony.
Second dedication May 20,
1973 with organ recital by Rev. R. E. Scoggin of Rochester.
complete rebuilding began in the summer of 1995. It is enlarged to 26 ranks, 10 pipe ranks and
16 electronic ranks. Dedicated during our centennial in 1998.
served for only a “thank you”; some for $12 a year.
Among them are:
Hedwig “Hattie” Schultz (Mrs Leonard Lueck)
(Hattie played German service 1/year after
Katherine Klingsporn 1932-2007,
Amanda Birkholz (sub Katherine Klingsporn’s daughters births 1943, '45, '48),
Florence Lewis and Thelma Miller (also subbed
Diane Webb 2002- Present.
Firsts and Milestones::
First baptism was Emma Clara Arndt on August 21, 1898
confirmands were Ida Krause, Agnes Stiller, Helen Remarkel
couple married was William Wobig and Amalia Stiller
couple married in sanctuary was Mr & Mrs Fred Glamm
recorded funeral is Albert Stiller, 13-year-old son of Mr & Mrs August
Significant changes are:
1942 - German Seal of Saint Paul Lutheran Church is recorded in English.
1944 - Set of individual
glasses for communion is purchased, replacing the common cup.
1947 - Envelope system for contributions is
1950 - Building Fund Committee for a new church: A. E. Wobig, Ed Starz, Marion Hopper
1954 - Congregation votes that all women members 21 or older are voting members.
Smith becomes the first church secretary (as a volunteer).
1969 - New constitution is adopted. All members
18 years of age or older could now vote.
1971 - First Communion classes began for fifth graders.
1973 - Sunday School children (lower grades) attend 20 minutes of worship then go to class.
1974 - Service Groups begin and work well.
1975 - Office is built for the secretary. New blacktop is laid on the NE parking lot.
1977 - Church library begins by lending out books.
is remodeled. We begin using, The Lutheran Book of Worship (LBW).
Carlyle Johnson becomes church custodian.
1979 - Congregation purchases the Glamm property,
west of present sanctuary.
sponsors missionary Pastor David Johnson and family
1982 - Stewardship Committee completes an “every
1983 - Fellowship
Hall gets new roof. Sell + move Glamm
house + pave west parking lot.
Doug Strandell becomes music director until 1988.
1984 - Diane Webb becomes choir pianist.
1985 - Grant Boyer became our parish assistant (June). Library moves to Fireside Room.
New carpet laid in Narthex, Fireside Room + offices.
1986 - Anna Loos Estate gifts Saint Paul.
Women make + present quilt to SPLC confirmed high school graduates each May.
1986 - 2008 they made and presented 350+ quilts
1987 - Purchase and demolish Darrel Miller house to enlarge west parking
- New office addition and handicapped facilities
Diane Toogood is Minister of Music for 8 years, organizing and conducts 7 choirs.
- Ruby Mohr gives Steinway grand piano.
Establish Building fund. Chime bells are a gift from Rudy Mohr.
Youth attend Dallas National Youth Gathering.
Stephen Ministers start training October.
1991 - Ratify “Amended constitution”. Trustees and deacons now called council members.
Lorraine Smith retires: 31 years.
is new administrative secretary.
1992 - Committee
of 5 raises funds for office remodeling.
on Boundary Waters canoe trip.
Mahlke campership memorial.
using computers for bookkeeping.
is volunteer office staff.
1993 - Congregation
amends by-laws to establish a Mission Board.
Church income is $196,180.
the office area.
Youth backpack trip at Sky
- Grief and Growth seminar begins using interim
Pastor Al Walck’s 8 week outline.
attend Atlanta National ELCA Youth Gathering.
Responsion benevolence program begins.
Repair hail damage on Fellowship hall roof.
of 2 pouring chalices to use for Holy Communion.
1995 – Congregation approves
Mission (Board) Committee constitutionally.
Committee administers Responsion monies for local + worldwide needs.
begins for new sanctuary lighting.
for rebuilding the pipe organ.
Seventh graders go on
retreat at Good Earth Village to study the Apostle’s Creed.
School youth canoe trip to Boundary Waters.
a “sister” congregation, San Lucas Lutheran, in Bogota, Colombia
1996 - Kent Jurgenson becomes
Youth trip to Superior Hiking Trail
on North Shore.
for Families” begins.
Youth and adult work/service
group paints Irene Glamm’s house.
Pave the west
parking lot. Lay new Carpet in the sanctuary.
for 8” fellowship groups begin.
begins as additional paid office staff.
Church Income is $205,777.
1997 - Centennial
Celebration Committee oversee special event each month
of 100th year.
Congregation purchases adjacent
Samuelson & Holte properties for $82,000.
Youth attend New Orleans National ELCA Youth Gathering
+ adults paint Arnold Ferber home: service project.
Marlowe McGowan - Financial Secretary
1998 - 100 years old
rebuilt Pipe organ in honor of Katherine Klingsporn.
Custodian Carlyle Johnson retires after 20 years.
pews upholstery, sanctuary lights, landscape.
New picture directory of members celebrates Centennial
1999 - Create 10 for 10 to thank God for 100 years.
Purchase the Keane property for $140,000.
Part-time Education Director: Lynn Ness
Replace 19 windows in fellowship hall with bequest.
Custodians: David & Becky Radtke
Staff: Carol Larson
2000 - 30 Youth + Alfonso Corso (Bogota, Colombia) St Louis National Youth
2 new boilers.
Custodians: Lonnie, Audrey,
Kelly& Casey Sather
2001 - Pastor Kip Groettum begins
Project worship words on screen (9/9).
Scholarship $ to San Lucas in Bogota, Colombia
Largest special offering ever is Lutheran Disaster Relief (9/11), $3,000.
Stewardship picture presentation shows budget percentages and member activities.
Begin series of 7 years of Lenten dramas, 5 by Arley Fadness.
Music Accompanist: Diane Webb
Income is $299,481.44
2002 - Education Director position: Lynn Ness & Laura Gathje
Take down Sacristy walls.
Move screen to back wall. We project worship words and pictures to screen.
Daniel Corso (Alfonso’s brother)
stays with Lunde family to learn English.
New picture directory of members honors Katherine Klingsporn
for 70 years of Service in Music to the Glory of God, 1932-2002.
2003 - Jan 22 special meeting - 84 yes, 12 no: construct 104’X64’ addition:
Youth attend National Youth Gathering in Atlanta, GA
Fiancial Secretary: Julie Vahlsing
Paid Office Staff: Diane Webb
2004 - Education
Directors - Jody Titus & Laura Gathje share
ELCA MIF Loan $743,904 @ 5.25%
Pastor Kip Groettum & Laurel Stoen marry here - June 26
Lead Office Staff: Lori Weis
Administrative Financial Staff: Karel Titus
special meeting: 107 yes and 115 no – votes not to buy Ella Reiter house
– Move Samuelson house at 209 Second AVE SW - doubling west parking lot
Youth Mission Trip to Appalachia Kentucky
2006 – Contemporary Sat worship service begins Feb 4.
Complete West parking lot: cement driveways, curb + gutter, west sidewalk,
bituminous topping, striping for 52 parking spaces $43,120.32.
Rock wall erected north side west parking
lot by volunteers.
attend San Antonio ELCA National Youth Gathering.
Financial Secretary: Lydia Grant
Church Income is $399,523.58 – highest
in our 110 years.
2007 - April 14 auction $4,204.30 for: parking lot $500, building addition $1000,
Baja adult/family mission trip $2000 and benevolence $710.
Landscape planting on north side rock wall - given by Ron Flemke family.
Youth July Mission Trip Blackfeet Reservation, MT
New internet based education curriculum,
“Akaloo” (means to follow Jesus)
begins in September for children through adults.
Oct 14 – sixth annual “Bless the Animals” worship
2008 – Financial Secretary: Kim Fall
April 5 auction raises $10,000+ for building materials.
people built 4 homes in Baja, Mexico in October 11-18
March 29 – Fifteenth annual Grief and Growth seminar
14th year holding Healing Services in April + October (communion Sun)
year holding Vocational Blessing services in May + November (communion Sun)
picture directory of members celebrates 110 years.
2009 – Saint Olaf College
Art Professor Emeritis Mac Gimse: “7 Last Words in Sculpture”
in Lent and Easter Sunday – hands on sculpture expresses
Jesus Words from Cross
Administrator: Kim Fall. Karel Titus finished her FA work in August.
Financial Secretary: Heather Barker
Children’s Choir began in Sept – Heather Dale director, Diane Webb accompaniest
Praise Team led 2nd Sunday of month worship. They began 8th year in Sept.
National ELCA theme – God’s Work, Our Hands (on sanctuary banner)
New Worship Projector purchased
- Sharp XG-C435X-L $2,311
New Orleans National Youth Gathering – 30 youth, 8 adults,
36,000 each did 1 day of service to New Orleans community
Next Youth Gathering will return to NO in 2012
Interfaith Hospitality Network, at PI UMC
2nd year, 43 volunteers, house homeless 4 weeks/year
2010 "God's Work, Our Hands"
is our mission and daily work
to tell our faith story in word and deed.
15 youth and 4 adults spent a week serving others in Chicago.
54 trained volunteers who help with the Interfaith Hospitality Network.
18 children were baptized.
20 3rd graders
received Bibles and were taught how to use them.
5th graders participated in first communion instruction.
26 10th graders affirmed their baptisms in the rite of confirmation.
Our area was flooded Sept 23-24. SPLC helped house victims
SPLC church members logged hours using their hands to do God's work
helping those affected by the flood water.
15 new families joined our church.
members, via the Pine Island Sharing Shelves invited to Wed night meals
during the summer
Education Director position: Laura
Gathje & Tracy Barsness share
2011 - 28 baptisms
new families joined
33 3rd graders were given Bibles and instructions in how to use them
19 10th graders Affrirmed their Baptism - last 10th grade class
9th graders Affirmed their Baptism - 1st 9th grade class
48 SPLC members and 7 others built 5 homes near Vincente Guerrero, Baja, Mexico
Oronoco/Pine Island community Committee helped with flood recovery
Bell Choir Directors: Terry Biberdorf
followed by Joe Jackson